Friday, February 11, 2011

Another atempt at conversation .. . no facts please, just opinions!!

Just for the record, I'm not worried about how much talent I have, or don't have. Or how much skill I might use to cover up the talent that I lack or whatever. I just thought it was an interesting question, and judging by the responses I received nobody really cares to talk . . is talent ever involved in the making of art. .saying someone is a "gifted", or "talented " artist..  . is that nonsense? Does anyone have an opinion? I don't feel the need to fit in .. .I'm not going to use this as anyway of justifying my work, or myself, or my existence. I guess I just thought it was something interesting to think about, that's all. I had a discussion at lunch today with a lady that used to teach music lessons, before she started teaching sh thought that anyone could be a good singer . .it might take some longer than others to reach the ability to hit notes, and sound acceptable, then after a while of teaching, she said her feelings changes . .she finished the statement with and just because you learn how to sing, doesn't meant people want to hear it.

6 comments:

  1. heath, it seems there is a deep stuggle going on inside you....you keep talking about being accepted and talent....I guess my question to you is, do you accept yourself and do you know you are talented?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have responded twice to your post, and twice the computer has deleted my responses, therefore i haven't the desire to retype the response. please reread the first few lines of the post. . I'll stop trying to provoke any thoughts with my posts from here on. .I'll just slap up some pictures, or stupid videos you people have fun commenting on instead.now imagine me sticking my tongue out at you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think "talent" describes skill/activities that come easy to some one and is accepted as "good" by a community. Talent can be squandered and can only get people so far. It has little bearing on living as a successful and productive artist. My experience has been that some people are "talented" and produce nice pieces right away. Then a wall is hit and the individual has to decide whether they work and climb the wall to make more interesting and developed work, or they keep making acceptable underdeveloped work, or they quit b/c all of sudden art is not easy. No right answers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not so sure what actually makes someone a trained artist? throughout my artistic education I don't think I really received a whole lot of "training" besides the basic color theory and 2&3D design classes. I think the main benefit of art school is the exposure to art and artists and the projects and deadlines enforced. I think it all comes down to putting work in. School just gives people a push in a general direction...as for talent I don't think it actually exists....PS. this is a response to your last few blogs and partially influenced by the effects of eating too many Popsicles too quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so....i assume you've taken psych 101. when someone takes the time to say, "Just for the record, I'm not worried about how much talent I have, or don't have. Or how much skill I might use to cover up the talent that I lack or whatever..." that somewhere in their comment they DO worry how much 'talent' they have etc. etc. My advice, take it or leave it, stay in that moment only briefly. Then go make your art. In regards to sticking out your tongue....I did that to my brothers all the time when I was a little girl(they are older than me) and was hit with a fly swater on the tongue by one of them. *reaching for her flyswater*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started to think about when I would use the phrase "gifted artist"- often it's when I don't like the work (too simple, obvious, boring, expected, etc) but admire the skill level. -Usually it's a patronizing comment
    Yes, I truly believe that some people have "gifts" or "talent" that help them move material around in a more pleasing manner but- so what- it's still all about what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete